Monday

Coriander Pesto a la Sarah B

So I nicked most of this recipe from My New Roots blogger Sarah Britton but as my partner laments, I never really follow any recipes. I do what I want to with an idea a recipe gives me. My mom had a bunch of cilantro in the fridge that had seen better days, so instead of it being wasted, lying there for another week as so many herbs do when you pick too much of it, I was inspired to make a pesto from it. Do go read all the wonderful nutritional facts about coriander on My New Roots!

Coriander Pesto

bushel of coriander
juice of half a lemon
1 tsp coconut shavings
1/2 cup raw almonds
2 garlic cloves crushed and pan fried
a handful of pine nuts pan roasted (they're so expensive in South Africa, I always just put a few in for taste and fill the rest of the nut quota with something else - almonds and cashews are always winners in a pesto!)
1 tsp cayenne pepper powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
a teaspoon of sugar (I was too lazy to find my agave that is sitting in a bag somewhere since our move)
a generous amount of sunflower oil

Pasta:

I've recently discovered a new Sasko brand Maize pasta at Pick 'n Pay called Puccini. It's in a dark green packet and under 10 bucks.

Enjoy! This pesto is wonderful, and I can't wait to put it on the vegan rye bagels I bought from Fresh Earth today!

This recipe used to contain raw onion, but I don't make it with that anymore. It just makes it too tangy for my liking. If you do use the 1/4 onion you should probably eat this pesto as you make it because the raw onions become more potent the longer you keep it for. It becomes a little too acidic after a couple of hours. I've also toned down the garlic from 4 to 2 cloves, but add as many as you wish!

No comments:

Post a Comment