Tuesday

Vegan Cheese Sauce

So we can live without cheese? I certainly do, but I have all sorts of tricks up my sleeve. I now only have brie and blue cheese to find replacements for! My brother is working on it!

Photo from Oh She Glows

Oh She Glows has a wonderful sounding mac'n'cheese sauce that she makes from cashew nuts. The first time I heard of cashew nut cream, I read it in Tal Ronnen's The Conscious Cook and I rushed to buy raw cashews so I could try it. It is one of the most incredible things I've made in my kitchen, and by far the best cream substitute I've found. As far as creams go, Coconut Cream is obviously also wonderful, and Orly Whip actually becomes whipped cream, but the former always tastes like coconut, and the latter has a long list of funny sounding ingredients. I like food that contains maybe one or two ingredients, I try to avoid chemical or artificial ingredients most of the time so anything else feels excessive and unnecessary.

I've tried so many 'cheese sauce' recipes and I've found out that I don't like the taste of mustard and turmeric over macaroni very much. I always hold back on those ingredients as they can be overpowering if one puts even slightly too much in. Fake cheese does not have to be yellow.

Vegan Béchamel

My most successful is my Vegan Béchamel sauce that I use for veggie lasagne. It's amazing! It's my mother's recipe for normal Béchamel that I've converted. Unfortunately it's not Gluten Free, but I'm sure it would be easy to transform.

1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Vegan Butter
1 Litre Soy Milk (I like to use the Alpro Soy milk for this, the quality is unbeatable)
1 tsp Maizena mixed into a half cup of cold water (Cornflour/Egg replacer) (This isn't necessary but it helps to thicken the sauce)
1/4 tsp Marmite (Vegemite)

Mix the flour and vegan butter together to form a crumbly mix. Add slowly to the heated soy milk and marmite, stirring continuously. Only add the Maizena if it isn't thickening up - you can also add more flour and butter mix if you desire.

This Béchamel even gets a little crusty in the oven, it's great for cheese substitution.

Photo from Oh She Glows

No comments:

Post a Comment