Wednesday

Blueberry Pancakes a la Skinny Bitch

So this is what I've had both for breakfast and lunch today. My lovely friend Carly who writes her own blog Run Baby Run came for breakfast and tea. She's also writing her Masters thesis at the moment and also handing in in March, so it wasn't procrastinating if we were doing it together! Teehee! She bought me some beautiful kitchen things that I can photograph food in, so keep an eye out for some new crockery and an 80's cookie tin with a Toucan!

I suddenly had an urgent need for pancakes this morning at 9:30, uncharacteristically I hadn't had breakfast yet so I wanted something substantial! This is my second article that mention's Skinny Bitch this week, and it must be all the rain lately that has been leading toward this sudden pancake craving, albeit sunny and hot today.

Basic Pancake Recipe
(According to Skinny Bitch, although I have thrown in a few of my own ingredients as usual.)

This recipe makes about 8 pancake sized flapjacks. The first thing to remember is that Americans call thin pancakes crepes, and call flapjacks pancakes. The batter is runny enough for normal pancakes though, so you can spread them out thin if you prefer to do so. Also, I never measure my ingredients out properly for something like this, so if yours isn't runny enough add more milk in tiny measurements until you have the right consistency.

325ml Self Raising flour
2.5 ml salt (a pinch)
375ml Rice Milk
2 T refined coconut oil melted
1 T Agave Nectar (or Maple Syrup)
5 ml Vanilla Extract
2 ml Almond Extract

Add one cup of blueberries (you get them at Woolies fresh and there are also mixed berries in the freezer section. Thrupps has frozen boxes of blueberries).

Use a non-stick pan and a reasonably low heat so that it doesn't burn and that it has the chance to cook through. Flip when there are no wet patches left on the pancake.

Toppings

I topped my Blueberry pancakes with St Dalfour Wild Blueberry All Natural Whole Fruit Jam (my favourite jams ever! They have no added sugar, preservatives or artificial ingredients and always use fruit based pectin), cinnamon, sugar and generous squeezes of fresh lemon juice.

You could have these with chocolate spread, or just jam and margarine, with whipped Orley Whip. These pancakes have so many possibilities!

I can't wait to make these pancakes savoury with spices and curry! I'll write about it when I do!

Buy the Skinny Bitch books by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin if you can get your hands on them, they're awesome. There's even one for boys called Skinny Bastard if you can't look past the girly bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment