Sunday

Carciofi Rosso's Sexy Makeover

My dear partner Ryan has given my little blog a complete makeover as a Valentine's day gift. It's looking much sexier with my bespoke typeface logo, the lovely red header and the legible new layout! I'm so happy with it and very excited for all my readers to see it! I hope you love it as much as I do!

Ryan specializes in Corporate Identity design, and his designing one for me was one of the most romantic gifts I could possibly imagine. Hand crafted gifts are my absolute favourite, as I know that so much time and love went into creating this new look as a surprise! I'm such a lucky girl!

For My Valentine
Because I'm on student income, I suggested to Ryan that we don't spend money on gifts for Valentine's day, also because it's a silly occasion and I feel even sillier wanting to do something to enjoy it!

I decided to make lots of lovely things for our special night but I ended up taking on too much and dinner took longer to cook than I thought it would! I had such great intentions! But what I ended up making was delicious and very indulgent.

Sweet Potato Fries

I chopped up some cleaned and unpeeled sweet potatoes and baked them in the oven for an hour, with a little olive oil and some seasoning. They're always a winner! I love sweet potato fries!

Onion Rings with Beer Tempura

I made a beer tempura batter using some Windhoek, Self Raising flour and some seasoning. I chopped an onion into rings, used only the big outer rings, and dipped them in the batter. The batter should be custard consistency to get a nice thick batter that clings to your onions. Deep fry in peanut oil or canola oil until golden. Place on paper towels to drain oil. Season and serve immediately!

Earth Burger Patty

I have the loveliest book called The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet by Joni Marie Newman from which I got a burger patty recipe for the Earth Burger.

110 g mushrooms
4 garlic cloves minced
60 ml olive oil, divided
330 g cooked brown and wild rice blend with dried split peas
75 g corn kernels
chopped broccoli and cauliflower
1 1/2 cups wholewheat flour
1/2 cup vegetable stock mix

The ingredients I used weren't exactly to her specifications but you fry up 110g mushrooms with some onions, mix them in with everything else. You can either bake these patties in the oven or you can dry fry them on a low heat for about 20 minutes, turning every five minutes to ensure even cooking.

Wholewheat Sweet Buns

I actually made my own bread rolls for these burgers and they turned out OK, not as fluffy and airy as I had hoped but I did several things wrong. I forgot to add the egg replacement to the mixture, and I also didn't leave them to rise somewhere warm enough, or for long enough.

I also used a recipe from Joni Marie Newman's book, but you can use any recipe for little yummy bread rolls.

Enjoy navigating my new-look blog!

much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment