Monday

Broke-Ass July

So we're all pretty cash-strapped this month. I spent my money irresponsibly, my love had to fix his car, my folks are watching their expenditures, we're all being careful. So I decided, even though we are basically out of fresh ingredients already, to enter into a challenge not to go grocery shopping until payday. I'm nicking toilet paper from my mom, and have run out of Organic Rice Milk, but we've been managing to eat well regardless! I've been making a lot of dishes that include rice, pasta and other dried foods that we have, so as to extend our use of what fresh produce is left in the fridge. I made a list of food we could make with what we have in our cupboards and our fridge, without running into trouble and needing to spend our last Rands.

I've been making wonderful things with dried and frozen ingredients. I made a fantastic Mushroom, 'Chicken' and Pea Risotto on Saturday, which was phenomenal. I made a wonderful Butternut, Lentil, Coconut and Cashew Nut - Three Nut Curry with Basmati rice last night, for five people and had leftovers. I made us delicious bolognese type sauce with some soya mince and a fantastic tubular pasta that looks like 30cm long macaroni one evening. We had hot cross buns (they were in the freezer) this morning for breakfast. Today my mom gave me a ripe avo. I will accept charity...as I already proved with the toilet paper. This ripe avo is about to become amazing guacamole that will accompany left over soya mince and fresh tomatoes in a wrap. I forget how much amazing food we actually have, and I think that I go shopping for more food far too often. We haven't even started delving into the baked beans or our veggie garden yet, and we haven't started resorting to buying bread to make peanut butter and jam sarmies. There's still much food in our supply yet, and I won't give up on this challenge I've set myself easily. I think we're out of exciting food much faster than I should do, I'm finding so much inspiration in my attempt to use what we have.


I also baked peanut butter cookies instead of buying them. And without any margarine. High five to me! But I had to scrape the burnt bits off the bottom, so maybe a low five. Recipes and images to follow! Updates to follow too!


On this note, I'm sure you will all understand why there aren't any new products on the Woolies or Pick 'n Pay lists. I'm not setting foot in a shop if I can help it!

1 comment:

  1. We're in the same boat this month as a result of unanticipated expenses (damn what's up with July?!) Love how you've made it a fun challenge for yourself- I'm going to take a leaf from your book and try to do the same. Our cupboards are also full of good stuff but I get anxious when I don't buy food which is silly because, like you've said, there's so much to be made from what's already there!

    ReplyDelete